Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Insomniac, apparently

It's 5:04 a.m., and I'm wide awake. Can't sleep.

We watched some home videos on Thanksgiving and they were full of people I miss. Papa (pronounced paw-paw), in particular. One time he got me an umbrella that had my name embroidered in yellow. The crazy old man tried to tell me he found it in a parking lot.
He was always playing a joke on someone. Always making someone laugh. His hat was never straight on his head and he didn't know how to smile without winking.
I don't want anyone to tell me that 95 is old because it's not nearly old enough. I only had him for 20 years so those other 75 years don't count. I want to pick blackberries and ride my bike with the pink banana seat through chicken houses. I want to sit on his front porch swing with him and eat moonpies. I want a black cherry cola. Needless to say, I miss him so much.

No comments: